PACT Spry Menu Pages
Oral Piercing and Grills, continued
Jewelry-Related Complications
 
Injury to the gums.
 
Damage to teeth in contact with the metal jewelry. This is especially common with tongue-piercing.
 
Interference with normal oral function. Jewelry may result in excess saliva production, speech impediments, or interfere with chewing
and swallowing.
 
Allergic reaction/hypersensitivity to metal (eg, nickel).
 
Interference with oral health evaluation. Must be removed for X-rays.
 
Aspiration or ingestion possible if jewelry becomes loose.

In their 2011 policy statement, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) "strongly opposes the practice of piercing intraoral and perioral tissues and use of jewelry on intraoral and perioral tissues due to the potential for pathological conditions and sequelae associated with these practices".

Grills
No studies show that grills are harmful to the mouth. However, there is at least one case report of a grill accelerating the caries process in an adolescent. Grill wearers should be counseled to:

 
Remove the grill when eating.
 
Limit the amount of time that the grill is worn.
 
Brush and floss carefully.
 
Watch for symptoms of allergy to the grill's metal.
 
 
The American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommend against all oral piercings.
 
The most common procedure-related risks are swelling, bleeding, and infection.
 
Oral piercings commonly injure the gums, tongue, or teeth.
 
Allergic reactions to the metal in piercings and grills may be delayed.
View the Chapter 13 Photo Gallery.