Education and Training
Pediatricians and other medical providers can play an important role in children’s oral health outcomes and improve the overall health of children. Children who may not have the opportunity to see a dentist are well served by pediatricians who are knowledgeable about oral health.
The American Academy of Pediatrics is committed to helping pediatricians and other health providers learn how to identify oral disease, provide caries prevention services, and when to refer a to a dentist.
Find options for quality improvement resources, online modules, and training videos to increase your oral health knowledge and improve your practice, patient care, and care coordination.
Protecting All Children's Teeth Curriculum (PACT)
The PACT online training curriculum aims to educate medical students, residents, pediatricians, and others interested in infant, child, and adolescent health about the important role that oral health plays in the overall health of patients. The curriculum includes in depth information about child oral health, oral health guidance, and preventive care to help the learner to become more comfortable in recognizing dental disease and conditions and communicate with dental professionals. Educators are also able to download pre-made PowerPoint presentations on oral health to be given to medical students and pediatricians in training.
The AAP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AAP designates this educational activity for a maximum of 11.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Bright Futures Oral Health Resources
The Bright Futures Guidelines for Health Supervision for Infants, Children, and Adolescents prioritizes oral health as a major health topic to be included in practice. View the Promoting Oral Health Guidelines (213 MB) as well as practice guides and other resources.
Education and Quality Improvement in Pediatric Practice (EQIPP)
EQIPP features the Oral Health in Primary Care course that discusses the importance of dental home, caries risk assessment, anticipatory guidance, and fluoride varnish application. More information about this quality improvement resource can be found on the EQIPP Web site.
Smiles for Life National Oral Health Curriculum
Developed by the Society for Teachers of Family Medicine, the Smiles for Life National Oral Health Curriculum has 2 child-focused modules:
These modules are endorsed by the AAP and approved for continuing medical education. Under Resources, you can find useful videos on how to conduct an oral health risk assessment in the medical office and how to apply fluoride varnish, as well as other helpful materials for educators.
Oral Health Practice Tools
Find helpful Oral Health Practice Tools to support your practice.
Archived Oral Health Webinars
- Affordable Care Act (ACA): What It Means for You and Your Patients' Oral Health Webinar (Slide Set)
- Oral Health Risk Assessment in the Medical Home Webinar (Slide Set)
- Quarterly Sharing Webinar Recording: Oral Health State and Local Programs Discuss Medical Training and Medical/Dental Collaboration (6/2/2014)
- Working Together to Promote Oral Health Care for Pregnant Women Webinar (Slide Set and list of Additional Resources)
AAP PediaLink is an online continuing medical education Web site that offers opportunities for oral health education.
The NCMHI is a cooperative agreement between the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The NCMHI provides medical home resources, technical assistance, and support to physicians, families, and other medical and non-medical providers who care for children. The AAP Children’s Oral Health efforts include advocating for the inclusion of oral health in the medical home.
Click Arrows to reveal content
- Dental Health Screening and Fluoride Varnish Application Training (Minnesota)
- Early Childhood Caries — A Medical and Dental Perspective (Arizona)
- Into the Mouth’s of Babes (North Carolina)
- Maryland’s Mouths Matter — Fluoride Varnish and Oral Health Screening Program for Kids (Maryland)
- A Health Professional’s Guide to Pediatric Oral Health Management (National)
- Opening the Mouth — Oral Health and Healthcare (New York)
- Open Wide — Oral Health Training for Health Professionals (National)
- Oral Health Tutorial — Early childhood Caries Overview for Non-Dental Professionals (Pennsylvania)
- Fluoride Varnish Training for Health Professionals (Massachusetts)
- National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center (National)
- Medical Providers Oral Health Education Project (New Hampshire) (307 MB)
- Planning Guide for Dental Professionals Serving Children with Special Healthcare Needs (California) (627 MB)
- Promoting Children’s Oral Health (California) (602 MB)
- Bright Smiles from Birth Training Video (Illinois AAP Chapter) – This video depicts an efficient oral exam and fluoride varnish application in the pediatric office.
- Smiles for Life Training Videos
Lap to Lap Child Oral Exam and Application of Fluoride Varnish (Society for Teachers of Family Medicine) – These videos show how to do a knee to knee oral exam and apply fluoride varnish.