Oral Health Practice Tools
Incorporate oral health into your practice with these easy-to-use tools and resources. Learn how to perform an oral health risk assessment, nutrition and oral hygiene counseling, and to apply fluoride varnish when needed as a vital part of the well child exam.
How Should I Set Up My Practice To Include Oral Health?
- Oral Health Practice Models
- Infant Oral Health Model in a Federally Funded Family Health Center Setting
- Electronic Health Record Template To Include Oral Health New!
What Do I Need To Apply Fluoride Varnish in My Office?
- Where To Get Varnish Materials, Dental Mirrors, and Head Lamps. (41 MB)
- Oral Health Supplies for the Exam Room (25 KB)
- After Varnish Instructions for Families in English and Other Languages (Spanish, Russian, Cambodian, Somali, Oromo, Vietnamese, Hmong) (651 KB)
How and When Do I Provide an Oral Exam and Risk Assessment?
- AAP/Bright Futures Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care
- Oral Health Risk Assessment Tool
- Chart Stickers in English and Spanish (102 KB)
- Bright Smiles from Birth Training Video
How Much Fluoride Do My Patients Need?
- American Dental Association Topical Fluoride Decision Tool: Professionally Applied Topical Fluoride: Evidence-based Clinical Recommendations (57 KB)
- American Dental Association Fluoride Supplementation Decision Tool: Dietary Fluoride Supplements: Evidence-based Clinical Recommendations (442 KB)
- Evidence-Based Clinical Recommendations Regarding Fluoride Intake From Reconstituted Infant Formula and Enamel Fluorosis
- My Water’s Fluoride Tool
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Water Fluoridation Resources
How Do I Help Children To Find a Dental Home?
- Dental Referral Form example Coming Soon!
- How to create a Dental Referral Resource Sheet (41 KB) for your practice
- Questions to Ask When Calling a Dental Provider (15 KB)
- Oral Health FAQ—The Pediatric Dental Essential Health Benefit in Covered California (941 KB)
How Can I Educate Families?
- AAP A Guide to Children's Dental Health Brochure
- Oral Health Picture Handout for Families in English and Spanish (149 KB)
- Bright Futures Oral Health Toolbox Print Materials
- California Dental Association Patient Education Tools in Multiple Languages
- Cavity Free at Three Patient Education Materials
- Oral Health Special Needs Fact Sheets for Providers and Caregivers
- Oral Health Care During Pregnancy: A National Consensus Statement–Summary of an Expert Workgroup Meeting
How Do I Get Paid?
- The State Medicaid Payment Map identifies which states are paying primary care physicians and other medical providers to provide oral health services and in what states advocacy efforts are taking place to enact this policy change.
- This State Medicaid Payment Information table is derived from a 50-state survey that asked Medicaid programs about their requirements related to payment for oral health services. It explains what codes to use to submit for payment, the age limits of children who can receive the services, the number of varnishes that can be applied annually, training required prior to implementation, and if delegation is allowed.
- Oral Health Coding Fact Sheet
Bright Futures is a national health promotion and disease prevention initiative that addresses children's health needs in the context of family and community. In addition to use in pediatric practice, many states implement Bright Futures principles, guidelines, and tools to strengthen the connections between state and local programs, pediatric primary care, families, and local communities. The Bright Futures Health Supervision Guidelines for Infants, Children, and Adolescents, 3rd Edition, includes strong oral health recommendations and the program is working to create tools to ease the implementation of oral health in to practice. View the new Oral Health Risk Assessment Tool tested through the Bright Futures Brightening Oral Health Project.