National Summit on Children's Oral Health
The National Summit on Children’s Oral Health was hosted by the American Academy of Pediatrics on November 7-8, 2008. Summit participants included leaders from medical, dental, and child health organizations, as well as leadership from federal agencies. The focus of the Summit was progress made to date toward meeting recommendations of the 2000 Surgeon General’s Report on Oral Health in America and future strategies to overcome identified barriers in accelerating children’s access to oral health care services in the United States. For more detailed information about the Summit presentations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a result of the Summit, the AAP coordinated the production of an Academic Pediatrics Special Issue on Children’s Oral Health. This information can be used to inform policy makers about children’s oral health issues.
Academic Pediatrics Special Issue on Children’s Oral Health
(Registration may be required to view these articles. This registration is free.)
Table of Contents (45 KB)
- Oral Health in Children: A Pediatric Health Priority
- Progress in Children’s Oral Health (Executive Summary)
- Children’s Oral Health: The Time for Change is Now
- Scientific Investments to Improve Oral Health
In the Moment
Science and Surveillance
- Trends in the Oral Health of US Children and Dental Public Health Infrastructure
- Update on Early Childhood Caries Since the Surgeon General’s Report
- Advances in Science and Technology of Prevention of Tooth Decay
- The Contribution of Dietary Factors to Dental Caries and Disparities in Caries
Access and Barriers to Care
- Update on Disparities in Oral Health and Access to Dental Care
- Dental Care and Children with Special Health Care Needs
- Critical Issues in Craniofacial Care
The Oral Health Workforce
- Addressing Children’s Oral Health: Trends in the Dental Workforce
- Dental Education’s Role in Improving Children’s Oral Health and Access to Care
- Adding Dental Therapists to Improve Access to Care for Children
- Educating Pediatricians and Family Physicians in Children’s Oral Health
- Oral Health and Pediatricians: Results of a National Survey
- Role of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners in Oral Health Care
Policy Achievements and Challenges
- Putting Teeth in CHIP: 1997-2009 Congressional Action on Children’s Oral Health
- Oral Health Policy Development Since the Surgeon General’s Report
The AAP gratefully acknowledges the sponsors (98 KB) of the National Summit on Children’s Oral Health and the Academic Pediatrics Supplement as well as the efforts of Wendy Mouradian, MD, MS, Project Director.
Even young babies need their teeth cleaned.