Types of Membership
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) welcomes the following memberships:
- have received an MD or DO or an equivalent degree from a medical school located outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada;
- reside and practice medicine or engage in other professional activities to the benefit of children outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada; and
- is a member in good standing of a local pediatric society which has been recognized by the International Pediatric Association or be sponsored by an FAAP in good standing.
- AAP members in good standing
Sections and Councils provide a forum for members with special interests to discuss research and clinical matters, develop and coordinate specialized educational programs and projects for AAP membership, and serve as a resource to the Academy by providing expertise in a particular area. Members enjoy opportunities to network and share ideas with colleagues who have similar interests, and earn CME credits at council or section sponsored sessions held in conjunction with the AAP National Conference & Exhibition.
Council/Section Affiliate membership is available to those who are not eligible for AAP membership. Applicants for Council/Section Affiliation must meet the qualifications and requirements stipulated by the respective Bylaws and the AAP Board of Directors.
Affiliate member benefits include:
- Subscription to AAP News
- Section/Council-specific informational mailings, including newsletters, meeting notices, and membership rosters.
- AAP member pricing on AAP publications purchased through the catalog or online bookstore.
- Ability to propose educational programming for AAP meetings through your affiliated Section/Council.
- Various other discount programs, including discounts on all types of insurance, car rental discount programs, discounted travel through ResAssist.com and the AAP travel office, and a credit card with no annual fee.