The Academy offers multiple venues for obtaining continuing credit and many of these options focus on obesity. To search all Academy course offerings visit PediaLink. The following two courses are online options specific to obesity:
A New Spin On Childhood Obesity (AAP Credit = 6.00, AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) = 6.00, NAPNAP Credit = 7.20, Pharmacology Rx = 0.00) A New Spin on Childhood Obesity focuses on pediatric overweight and obesity. Learning objectives are as follows:
- Describe the prevalence of overweight and its significant comorbidities in pediatric populations.
- Identify genetic, environmental, or combinations of risk factors predisposing children to obesity.
- Recognize early excessive weight gain relative to linear growth as a routine part of pediatric practice and calculate and plot BMI (kg/m2) for all patients periodically.
- Educate and empower families through anticipatory guidance to recognize the impact they have on their children's development of lifelong habits of physical activity and nutritious eating.
- Foster dietary practices that encourage moderation rather than over consumption, emphasizing healthful choices rather than restrictive eating patterns.
- Promote regular physical activity within families, schools, and communities.
- Optimize approaches to prevention by combining dietary and physical activity interventions.
- Advocate in the areas of physical activity and food policy for children; research into pathophysiology, risk factors, and early recognition and management of overweight and obesity; and improved insurance coverage and third-party reimbursement for obesity care.
- Optimize reimbursement for treatment of overweight and obesity by using appropriate coding.
View a preview of the course and register at PediaLink.
Hot Topic: Pediatric Obesity
(AAP Credit = 0.50, AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) = 0.50, NAPNAP Credit = 0.60, Pharmacology Rx = 0.00).
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe how obesity impacts the pediatric population and pediatric practice.
- Calculate and analyze BMI scores for pediatric patients.
- Devise 3 strategies to use serial BMI tracking to assist patient weight management and healthy outcomes.
Register at PediaLink.