|About Us | Research | Meetings | JCCHD | Links | Home
The Section presents four annual awards: the Founders Award, the Research Fellowship Award, the Young Investigator Award, and the Education Travel Grant.
The Founders Award (named after the "founders" of the Section) recognizes outstanding contributions in the field of pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular surgery.
||The Research Fellowship Award is awarded to a trainee in an accredited US pediatric cardiology fellowship training program to promote the understanding of a basic mechanism of cardiovascular disease in the young. The Research Fellowship Award provides a $35,000 stipend to reward the recipient for his or her efforts in basic science or clinical research.
Supported by an educational
grant from the Helen and Will Webster Foundation
- 2013-2014 •
Shahryar Chowdhury, MD, Medical University of South Carolina, "Investigating the Racial Disparities in Cardiovascular Risk"
- 2012-2013 •
Stephanie J. Nakano, MD, University of Colorado,"Regulation of Phosphodiesterase Activity in Pediatric Heart Failure"
- 2011-2012 •
Katja M. Gist, DO, University of Colorado, "Use of Near Infrared Spectroscopy for the Early Detection of Acute Kidney Disease in Children Post Cardiopulmonary Bypass"
- 2010-2011 •
Thomas C. Dispenza, MD, Indiana University, "Cardiac Cell Stimulation to Shrink Ventricular Septal Defects"
- 2009-2010 •
Robert Gregory Webster, MD, Childrens Hospital Boston, "Psychiatric Outcomes in Patients with Rhythm Devices"
- 2008-2009 •
Michael Gaies, MD, MPH, University of Michigan,
"Effects of Insulin Therapy After Bypass on Infant Myocardium"
- 2007-2008 • Michael-Alice Moga, MD, Cincinnati Children's Hospital, "Ventricular Myosin Isoforms in the Pressure Overloaded Heart."
- 2006-2007 • Cammon B. Arrington, MD, University of Utah, "Molecular
Role of Syndecan-2 in Cardiac Left-Right Development"
- 2005-2006 • Aaron Olson, MD, University of Iowa, "Hypertrophic Signaling
Pathways in the Fetal Heart".
- 2004-2005 • Angela Lorts, MD, University of Michigan, "The Role of P13K
in Sepsis-Mediated Cardiac Dysfunction"
- 2003-2004 • Catherine Kenworthy Allan, MD, Children's Hospital Boston, "Inflammatory
Gene Polymorphisms in Infant Cardiac Surgery"
- 2002-2003 • Nancy J. Halnon, MD, University of California Los Angeles Medical
Center, Mattel Childrens Hospital, "Thymic Function in Children
Following Cardiovascular Surgery"
- 1999-2000 • Benjamin L. Siu, MD, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children's
Hospital, "Identification of Gene Defects that Cause Sudden Infant Death
- 1998-1999 • Andrew Robinson, MD, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, "Developmental Effects of Altered Flow States on the Pulmonary
- 1997-1998 • Vickie Diamandakis Pyevich, MD, University of Iowa, Department of
Pediatrics, "Functional Effects of Altered Expression of Phospholemman in Neonatal
- 1996-1997 • Jamie Lohr, MD, University of Minnesota, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, "Cardiac Looping: Genetic Regulation and Cellular Mechanisms"
- 1995-1996 • Denise Shaker, MD, Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, "Genetic Mapping of Congenital Heart Disease in Down Syndrome"
- 1994-1995 • Kevin Shannon, MD, UCLA School of Medicine, "Effects of Thyroid Hormone on G-Protein Signal Transduction"
- 1993-1994 • Elizabeth Goldmuntz, MD, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, "Microdeletions of Chromosomal Region 22q11 in Patients with Congenital
- 1992-1993 • Mark Fogel, MD, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia,"Right Ventricular Biomechanics"
- 1991-1992 • Fuhua Chen, MD, UCLA School of Medicine,
"Developmental Changes in Single Cardiac Myocyte K Currents"
||Macdonald Dick, MD
||William W. Pinsky, MD
||William Galbraith Williams, MD
||James H. Moller, MD
||Roberta Gay Williams, MD
||Paul Gillette, MD
||Thomas P. Graham, Jr, MD
||Welton M. Gersony, MD
||Roger Hurwitz, MD
||Aldo Castenado, MD
||Charles E. Mullins, MD
||Amnon Rosenthal, MD
||William F. Friedman, MD
||Abraham Rudolph, MD
||Forrest Adams, MD
||Samuel Kaplan, MD
||Jerome Liebman, MD
||Ronald M. Lauer, MD
||George C. Emmanouilides, MD
||Ruth Whittemore, MD
||Jacqueline Noonan, MD
||Russell V. Lucas, Jr., MD
||Norman S. Talner, MD
||James W. DuShane, MD
||Dan G. McNamara, MD
||Donald G. Ritter, MD
||Alexander S. Nadas, MD
The Young Investigator Awards are given for the two best scientific abstracts presented at the National Conference & Exhibition meeting in clinical research and basic science categories. First place ($400) and second place ($250) awards are given for best content and presentation of clinical and/or basic science research.
First place ($400) and second place ($250) awards are given for best content and presentation of clinical and/or basic science research. Current residents, fellows-in-training or other physicians-in-training who have completed their fellowship training program within one year (and whose project is relevant to pediatric cardiology) are eligible for the Young Investigator competition.
Education Travel Grants provide funding for travel expenses to the AAP National Conference & Exhibition for the top Young Investigator abstract submissions. Travel Grants are limited to current pediatric cardiology or cardiovascular surgery fellows-in-training.