Membership is open to of Fellows of the American Academy of Pediatrics who are actively involved in some aspect of the study of the abuse and neglect of infants, children, or adolescents and who are interested in contributing toward the objectives of the Section. Affiliate membership is open to MDs, DOs, NPs, RNs, PAs not eligible for AAP Fellowship in the Academy. They must devote at least 25% of their practice to pediatric patients, and be active in the field of child abuse.
Both full and affiliate members of the Section receive the following benefits:
- SCAN, a quarterly newsletter, which features short commentaries, literature reviews, announcements of resources and programs, summaries of section and Academy activities, and reports from educational sessions;
- A discount on publications developed by the Section.
- Networking opportunities at the annual Section business meeting and through the SOCAN e-mail list (Listserv®); and
- The opportunity to participate in educational program development and other activities of the Section.
In addition, affiliate members receive the following benefits:
- A subscription to AAP News, the Academy's monthly newsletter, which features articles and updates on current issues in child health, the legislative arena, Academy activities, and more;
- The option to purchase Academy publications at the AAP member rate.
- Access to AAP staff for questions and additional information on Academy activities; and
- Opportunities to make pediatric contacts at the local level for networking purposes.