GOAL – EDUCATION
The Section will implement programs to enhance professional capacity regarding child health and well being. We will focus on: 1) Problems and priorities in international child health; 2) Humanitarian assistance and emergency relief; 3) Teaching and training in international child health; 4) Educational opportunities for international colleagues.
GOAL – SERVICE
The Section will develop and provide: 1) Information and networking resources; 2) Opportunities to become involved in international child health; 3) Support and hospitality for international visitors.
GOAL – ADVOCACY
The Section will advocate for: 1) The inherent worth and rights of all children; 2) Recognition by pediatricians and policy makers of the responsibilities for improving the health and well-being of all children and their families.
GOAL - PARTNERSHIPS/DIPLOMACY
The Section will: 1) Establish relationships and partnerships that result in improved outcomes for children; 2) Provide information and direction on children’s priorities, needs, and issues at the global level for the Academy.
OBJECTIVES – EDUCATION
- Continue the Annual Section program of ICH at the NCE meeting;
- Support the Section’s new Newsletter with two issues each devoted to abstracts of the best articles on ICH;
- Support courses on Complex Humanitarian Emergences, with IPA and AAP, in different regions of the world;
- Support expansion of NCE international visitor program to include at least two scholarships for short-term training/observation in pediatric centers;
- Continued development of educational materials focused on global child health issues;
- Continue development of standardized pediatric residency curriculum and toolkit for international child health electives.
- Maintenance of a quality website that can be a resource for our members and others;
- Develop and maintain the International Child Health Network;
- Support the Health Volunteers Overseas mission and activities;
- Fund electives for pediatric residents through international travel grants;
- Sustain the International CATCH program;
- Support the increased usage of the CHILDisaster Network.
- Support international colleagues in achieving their child health priorities and the Millennium Development Goals;
- Share the “Rights of the Child” workshops with colleagues worldwide and support the mission of the Society for Equity in Child Health;
- Support an Advocacy workshop with a regional pediatric meeting periodically;
- Support the efforts of organizations who work for the benefit of children abroad through legislative advocacy abroad and in the USA.
OBJECTIVES - PARTNERSHIPS/DIPLOMACY
- Continue a close working relationship with the AAP Office of International Affairs;
- Complete a periodic survey all Section members to ascertain their priorities, needs and issues to find out how the Section can assist them;
- Develop liaisons with Chapters and Sections to explore and accomplish collaborative activities;
- Develop an ongoing relationship and communication with the Presidents of Pediatric societies around the world, initially with Canada, Mexico, Haiti, and Britain;
- Establish liaisons with key international organizations such as: WHO, IPA, UNICEF, USAID, GHEC and GHC.
AAP = American Academy of Pediatrics
CATCH = Community Access to Child Health=
GHC = Global Health Council
GHEC = Global Health Education Consortium
NCE = AAP’s National Convention and Exhibition
ICH = International Child Health
IPA = International Pediatric Association
USAID = United States Agency for International Development
WHO = World Health Organization