Welcome to the International Community Access To Child Health (ICATCH)
ICATCH empowers pediatricians and child health workers in some of the poorest regions of the world to put into practice their own innovative solutions to the child health challenges they face every day. Over the past decade, through the very generous donations of SOICH members and others, we have supported 53 programs in 32 different countries!
The ICATCH program is modeled after the AAP’s Community Access To Child Health (CATCH) program, which funds health care programs in the US only. ICATCH stands for International Community Access To Child Health, and we provide financial and technical support for starting or expanding services or training (not research) that improve child health in a resource-limited community outside the US.
ICATCH gives priority to applicants from low-income and low-middle-income countries. Our grants are for $2000 per year for 3 years, for a total of $6000, and a project director and co-director work together to develop and oversee the program.
A list of the projects funded by ICATCH can be found on our website. Examples of projects funded over the past 9 years include:
- Radio/print media campaign to raise awareness of and prevent child abuse
- Specialized education and home visits for teen mothers
- Support for adolescents with HIV in boarding schools
- Sickle cell education and screening
- Training for birth attendants using the Helping Babies Breathe model
- Oral health and fluoride treatment services
- Feeding programs for malnourished infants and children
- Peer-to-peer nutrition education and school gardens
- Malaria prevention using CHWs to teach proper use/repair of bed nets
- Development of mobile health kits for teachers and school nurses
- Empowerment of street children as peer health educators
- Epilepsy education and stigma reduction for school children
- First aid training for school teachers
Roughly 90% of the world’s children live in the developing world, where 99% of child mortality occurs. Please join us in our efforts to improve the lives of these children and their families worldwide!
We welcome you to:
- Apply for an ICATCH grant
- Join our ICATCH Team as a reviewer or advisor (it’s fun and educational!)
- Donate to ICATCH so we can help even more health care workers improve child health in their communities
To learn more or to volunteer, e-mail us at: email@example.com