WELCOME TO THE AAP SOMSRFT 2010-2011
ADVOCACY CAMPAIGN TARGETING CHILDHOOD OBESITY!
Together we will make a difference! Together we are Team Healthy!
If you are NEW to the campaign, see this brief presentation for an overview:
Welcome to the AAP SOMSRFT 2010-2011 Obesity Advocacy Campaign
Our campaign will has 2 phases:
PHASE 1: COMMUNITY POLICY ADVOCACY
AAP SOMSRFT Obesity Advocacy Presentation
This PowerPoint presentation is designed for AAP program delegates to present at grand rounds, morning report, or a noon conference. The focus is on policy advocacy in the community.
Resident Handout for AAP SOMSRFT Obesity Advocacy Presentation
This 1-page handout is designed to be distributed during the above presentation.
PHASE 2: CLINIC QUALITY IMPROVEMENT (QI) PROJECTS
In this second phase we have again teamed up with the Let’s Move! Campaign to bring the movement against childhood obesity into the clinic. The pre-designed clinic intervention makes meeting your pediatric program QI requirements easy, plus gives tools for further quality improvement. Only 2 easy steps to make a simple yet effective change in your clinic. We recommend you give this quick 10 minute presentation at your program along with a handout exploring the steps below.
STEP 1: Each resident pledges participation in the Let’s Move! Campaign
- This takes less than 2 minutes, and your name is now added to the many others who have pledged to be committed to fighting childhood obesity in the clinic.
STEP 2: One quality check at each clinic
- Start by checking 10 patient charts for a few key things – eg, was BMI checked? was nutrition discussed? Use the downloadable form to see what you have missed and upload your data to see how your clinic compares to others.
- Identify one change you would like to make and using the Tip Sheet for simple solutions, implement a change in your clinic.
- After making a change, check 10 different charts and see what a difference you have made!
Note: You will need your AAP ID to pledge and to upload your data.
Did you forget your AAP ID?
Check your Pediatrics journal
Call 866-843-2271 (866-THE-AAPI)
- YPConnection: Obesity Campaign Group - Connect with other members aiming to reduce childhood obesity on the YPConnection (AAP login and password required).
- Get on the Map! - Become a community leader in fighting childhood obesity by joining the Map of the Movement. Led by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and NICHQ Be Our Voice Project.
- AAP Obesity Initiative - Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Overweight and Obesity
- AAP White House Initiative - The American Academy of Pediatrics has joined the White House, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Department of Education, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in a new initiative to reduce rates of overweight and obesity in our nation's children.
- Prevention of Pediatric Obesity Policy Tool (POPOT) - The Policy Opportunities Tool is designed to showcase the various policy strategies that support healthy active living for children and families.
- Let's Move - The Let’s Move! campaign, started by First Lady Michelle Obama, has an ambitious national goal of solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation so that children born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight.
- Be Our Voice - Put on by the National Initiative for Children's Healthcare Quality (NICHQ)
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation - The goal of the Alliance is to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity by 2015, and to empower kids nationwide to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- RWJF Center to Prevent Obesity - Through policy analysis, leadership development, and communications with a broad network of advocates, the center is working to enable children of all races, ethnicities and geographic locations to eat healthy, be physically active and avoid obesity.