Each academic year the AAP will designate several $1000 awards split in two cycles (number awarded per cycle will be at the discretion of the review committee). These awards will be given to residents who wish to complete a clinical pediatric elective in the developing world during residency. Fellowship Trainee members are also eligible to apply. The awards committee may, at its discretion, select up to one Fellowship Trainee to receive the award. Resident applicants must be enrolled in pediatric residency training programs that are approved for credit toward certification by the American Board of Pediatrics, the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or La Corporation Professionelle des Medecins du Quebec.
Applicants must also be a member of the AAP Section on International Child Health (SOICH). For more information about SOICH, please click here.
If you are not currently a member of SOICH, please click on the following link to submit your secure application for membership:
Awards are given solely on the basis of the application and the accompanying form from your program director, faculty mentor/advisor or global health director. IMPORTANT: Once your application is processed, it will be forwarded to your program director, faculty mentor/advisor or global health director along with the link to the recommendation form. Please make sure the person designated to complete your recommendation has received the link and has submitted the form on your behalf. Your application will be considered incomplete without the completed recommendation form and SOICH membership.
The International Elective Awards will be chosen within two cycles, due September 15 and March 15. Recipients of the September cycle will be notified by November 30 and recipients of the March cycle will be notified by May 31 each year. The selection committee is composed of members from the SOICH and the Section on Medical Students, Residents and Fellowship Trainees (SOMSRFT). The online application will be available year round.
Congratulations to the March 2014 International Elective Award Recipients
Award requirements are as follows:
- The elective should be at least 4 consecutive weeks, and primarily clinical.
- Must be a Resident or Fellowship Trainee at time of application cycle deadline.
- IMPORTANT: Please remember to bring the photo release form with you prior to departure. If pictures of families/kids are taken, this form must be signed and returned to the AAP.
- Must submit application prior to leaving for elective.
- Residents/Fellowship Trainees may apply once within a twelve month academic period (July 1 June 30) for the same elective. Applicants may submit a second application in an academic year only if the elective is different from the first one.
- A list of written objectives should be developed prior to departure.
- A preceptor identified in the host country.
- Scheduled orientation prior to departure, to include becoming familiar with the host country's climate, culture and politics, health and safety issues.
- If you are not fluent in the host country's language, arrangements must be made for translators.
- Secure travel documents such as passports, visas and medical licenses before departure.
- Arrange housing and medical care for yourself.
- You should be formally evaluated while abroad, primarily to identify satisfaction of your objectives.
- Upon return, submit a written summary of your experiences to the program director and formally evaluate your elective with appropriate faculty.
- Previous recipients are not eligible to apply.
- Canadian residents are eligible to apply.
Please do not apply for this award if you
are being paid for this rotation in addition
to your regular resident salary. However, you may seek
additional funding for your rotation in addition to this award.
If you are selected to receive the award, we may use your report
for an article in AAP News, the Section on International Child
Health Newsletter or News and Views from Pediatricians in Training.
Upon return from your elective, submit a copy of your summary
to Kimberley VandenBrook.
Questions about this award can be directed to Kimberley VandenBrook by email or by calling 800/433-9016, ext 7134.
Good luck and safe travels!
The International Elective Award Program is supported by the AAP Friends of Children Fund and the AAP Section on Medical Students, Residents and Fellowship Trainees.