The American Academy of Pediatrics Residency Hardship Scholarship Program is specifically designed to help allay financial difficulties for residents in good academic standing. The Academy grants annually a number of hardship scholarships varying from $1,000 to $5,000. Each applicant will be reviewed carefully and awards will be granted to the most deserving pediatric interns and residents.
QUALIFICATIONS OF APPLICANT:
- Have completed or will have completed an approved internship or have completed a PL-1 year by July 1. A definite commitment for a first year pediatric residency accredited by the Residency Review Committee for Pediatrics is required.
- Be a pediatric resident (categorical or combined) in a training program AND have a definite commitment for another year of residency or chief residency (not fellowship) in a program accredited by the Residency Review Committee for Pediatrics.
- Have a substantial need for financial assistance or extenuating circumstances.
- The resident must have his/her application completed and submitted by the deadline. Applications are due Friday, April 1, 2016.
- The resident must follow-up with his/her program director and double check that he/she has submitted the Program Director's Recommendation Form.
Scholarship recipients are selected by the Section on Early Career Physicians (SOECP) Subcommittee on Residency Hardship Scholarships at their spring meeting. The selection is based on the assessment of the resident's application and the Program Director's Recommendation Form. The Subcommittee will make recommendations to the AAP Advisory Committee to the Board on Membership for approval at its meeting.
The Residency Hardship Scholarship Program application will open mid-February 2016.
Resident recipients will be notified by mail during the month of August and checks will be mailed at that time.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL BEFORE AUGUST 31, AS INFORMATION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND CANNOT BE RELEASED BEFORE THAT DATE.
The 2016 program is funded through the generosity of the AAP Friends of Children Fund.