AAP Resident Scholarship Program
Are you a pediatric resident with financial need?
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers financial need-based scholarships designed to help allay financial difficulties for residents in good academic standing. Each application will be reviewed carefully, and a moderate number of scholarships varying from $1,000 to $5,000 will be granted to the most deserving interns and residents. This past year, the Academy received 173 applications from residents, 72 of who were awarded scholarships.
All completed applications, which include the Resident Scholarship Application Form and the Program Director's Recommendation Form, must be submitted by March 6, 2015. Applications will not be processed if any items are missing.
QUALIFICATIONS OF APPLICANT:
- Be a pediatric resident in a training program (categorical or combined) and have a definite commitment for another year of residency or chief residency (not fellowship) in a pediatric program accredited by the Residency Review Committee.
- Have a substantial need for financial assistance.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Complete the Resident Scholarship Application Form and submit it by March 6, 2015.
- Confirm with your program director that he or she has received the link to the Program Director's Recommendation Form via email, has filled it out, and has submitted it by March 6, 2015. Please note that your program director will NOT receive the link to the Program Director's Recommendation Form until your portion of the application has been submitted and received by the Academy. Please allow your program director ample time to complete this form and indicate that your application will not be evaluated without this completed form. IMPORTANT: Your entire application will be forwarded to your program director along with the link to the recommendation form. If you do not wish for your program director to see your financial information, please contact Kimberley VandenBrook via email to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately after submitting your application and request that your financial information not be forwarded.
You will receive confirmation of your completed application by March 31, 2015. If you have not received confirmation of your completed application by March 31, 2015 please contact Kimberley Vandenbrook. The scholarships will be reviewed and all applicants will receive notification by August 31, 2015.
Please note that the scholarship is considered taxable income. If you are chosen as a scholarship recipient, you will receive a 1099-MISC form for the 2015 calendar year.
This award is for financial need and not intended for use toward international rotations. The AAP offers the International Elective Award program to assist residents in completing elective rotations overseas. For more information, please visit http://www2.aap.org/sections/ypn/r/funding_awards/international_travel.html
If you have any other questions, after reading the instructions in full, please contact the Program Coordinator, Resident Initiatives, Kimberley VandenBrook, or call the Academy at 800/433-9016, extension 7134.
The 2015 Residency Scholarship Program is made possible through support from McNeil Consumer Healthcare, the makers of Children’s Tylenol.
RESIDENT SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION:
Resident scholarship recipients are selected by the Committee on Residency Scholarships. The selection is made on the basis of an assessment of the resident's application and the Program Director's Recommendation Form. The Committee on Residency Scholarships will make recommendations to the AAP Advisory Committee to the Board on Membership. Resident recipients will be notified by mail by August 31, 2015.
March 6, 2015 -
Deadline for application and Program Director's Recommendation Form. No application will be evaluated if it is incomplete.
August 2015 -
Scholarships will be mailed. Please do not call before August 31, 2015 as information is confidential and cannot be released before that date. Letters will be sent to all applicants by August 31, 2015.
INFORMATION: Notification of the scholarship program will be sent to all resident members of the American Academy of Pediatrics in January 2015.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE RESIDENT SCHOLARSHIP PARTICIPANT
- Complete the Resident Scholarship Application Form and submit by March 6, 2015. The AAP will contact your program director regarding their recommendation. Please note that the program director's email address MUST be provided on the application form.
- Contact the Program Coordinator, Resident Initiatives at email@example.com if you have not received a confirmation of your application by March 31, 2015.
- Notify the American Academy of Pediatrics of any address change as notification letters will be mailed by August 31, 2015 to the mailing
address given on the application form.
- Upon receipt of the award, all resident recipients are asked to submit a thank-you letter to the program contributor in care of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics will maintain contact with you for 3 to 5 years to determine to what extent this program has contributed to your career in pediatrics. This survey will be forwarded to the email address we have on file. Again, your responses are used to evaluate and improve this program. We appreciate your participation in this follow-up.